Monday 2 March 2015

An Airport Adventure by Class One

Class One had an amazing adventure just before the half-term without even leaving the classroom!
The children have been very interested in aeroplanes, flying and travelling through space over recent weeks and we were very lucky to end the half-term with a visit from Mr and Mrs Rowlands.
Mr Rowlands was able to share his in-depth knowledge of how airports and aeroplanes work in a really fun way by helping us build an aeroplane in the classroom.
 
 

Mrs Rowland and Rosie made a fantastic team as the cabin crew and Freddie was the co-pilot for our trip. Before we could set off on our 'flight' passports had to be checked and seats allocated. Mr Rowlands was excellent at making sure everyone got to the correct seat.
 
Once everyone was on board, Rosie did the safety talk so we knew what to do in the event of an emergency.
Mr Rowlands gave his welcome on board speech and we even watched a video on the big screen showing us what the pilot sees when the plane takes off.

 
Mid way through the flight we even had an aeroplane quiz from our captain before being served biscuits and juice by the cabin crew from their trolley.
 
There was also a question and answer session before we finally prepared for landing. We were able to see the landing strip in the distance on the big screen as we approached the airport and, thanks to the skill of our pilot and co-pilot we made a perfect landing.
 
This week, after the half-term holiday, we looked back a the videos of our flight adventure and then talked about how much we had enjoyed the whole experience. I was amazed at how much the children remembered.
 
I have added the children's comments below:
 
Ben - "We put pretend seat belts on to make sure we didn't wiggle woggle in our seats... so we were safe."
 
Blossom- "I answered a question. It was how fast an aeroplane would fly and I had a drink and some biscuits too."
 
Charlotte - "I liked the biscuits because they were real and I liked pretending we were on an aeroplane."
 
Christopher - "My favourite bit was having the snack."
 
Hajrah - "I liked when the lights went off and saw the aeroplane take off and land... I've really been in the clouds like that."
 
Jacob -" I liked having the seat numbers... They had stickers and there was a number and a letter on it. We could keep them on all the time!"
 
Luca - "Freddie had three stripes and his daddy had four because he was the real pilot captain."
 
Oscar - "The place an aeroplane takes off and lands is a runway."
 
Rajan - "We all got special sticky wings, like proper pilot wings, to take home."
 
Sam - "I liked watching the film of how an aeroplane flies."
 
Scarlett - "My favourite bit was having biscuits from the cabin crew."
 
Shapur - "I liked the model British Airways plane on the stand best... I went on a real aeroplane before."
 
Stan - "A plane goes 500 miles an hour."
 
Thomas - "I loved doing Freddie's daddies questions."
 
Thank you so much Mr Rowlands, Mrs Rowlands and Rosie. We had a  fantastic time and learned so much about aeroplanes. I personally feel much happier about flying in the future (I hope that the pilot shows me to my seat too!).

No comments:

Post a Comment